My First twitter follower asked me for this recipe but its a bit of a cheat. It started with finding a bottle of Souvlaki Marinade in the cupboard. I have a $100 per week grocery budget to feed five so normally I would make my own marinade. Search google for Souvlaki Marinade and take your pick they are all cheaper than the bottle. I will certainly be making this again this summer and I will pick and probably alter some recipe and post it here with how it came out. The Tzatziki on the other I have made before without good results. The trick is to buy Greek Yogurt it is much thicker and to salt and drain your cucumbers. For me Greek Yogurt is only available at a specialty store and at a price that I mine as well buy the Tzatziki. I bought the cheapest pork I could find at the store, bone in pork steak.
- 2 lbs bone in pork steaks
- 1 bottle Souvlaki Marinade
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Zucchini
- Olive oil
- Pita bread
- De-bone it and cut it into cubes.
- Put it in a ziplock bag with the marinade. Put it in the fridge. I did this first thing in the morning so it marinaded for about 8 hours.
- Soak Skewers in water to keep them from burning. (I didn’t soak enough of them)
- Cut the Red Pepper in to 1 inch squares
- Cut the Zucchini into thick slice.
- Toss the Red Pepper and Zucchini in some olive oil.
- Feed the meat and veggies on to the skewers. Mine have only one veggie per skewer due to the various personal preferences.
- Preheat the BBQ on high.
- Start on high turning frequently to searing and get that nice brown crispy bits on the meat.
- Turn down the BBQ to low and finish cooking until the veggie are soft and the meat is cooked through.
- At the last minute throw the pita on the warming rack to warm through.