These are the cookie that I have to make every year for Christmas. When I was growing up this was my favorite Christmas cookie and my mom made it every year. Well until she taught me to make them then it was my job. Back then she had the recipe on a recipe card and I copied from that. The recipe came from a cookbook that my grandmother had. When she passed away my mother got that cookbook. The original recipe calls for reserving some of the egg white, sugar mixture for icing the cookies. We have adjusted the recipe to have more almonds. My mother never iced them and apparently neither did my grandmother. I tried once but it was may to much extra work and didn’t add anything in my opinion. They are naturally gluten free.
Author: Chris Tilley
Recipe type: Cookie
- 3 Egg Whites
- 3 Cups Icing Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 17 oz of Unblanched Grated Almonds (about 3¼ cups)
- ¼ tsp Mace
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- Sugar (for rolling out)
- Beat the egg whites until stiff
- Beat in the icing sugar a little at a time
- I switch from my whisk attachment to my beater at this point
- Add the Lemon Juice
- Add the spice to the almond and stir
- Add the almond and spice to the egg whites and beat until they come together
- Let it stand for about 1 hour. (It will dry out and be firm) Do not cover
- Preheat oven to 275 F
- Roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick. (I work with ¼ of the dough at a time)
- Use a small star cookie cutter to cut them out.
- I cook them on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. My mom buttered and floured the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Linking up at:
One thought on “Cinnamon Stars”
These are just beautiful! Thanks for linking up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday.” I hope you will be able to join us again this week. 🙂 http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/12/try-new-recipe-tuesday-december-24.html Merry Christmas!
Comments are closed.