These are the companion cookies to the Cinnamon Stars and were a yearly tradition going back as far as I can remember. Two of these and two of the Cinnamon Stars were put on the Santa plate every year. As with the Cinnamon Stars these go back at least three generations of cooks. These are kneaded in flour but they could easily be made to be gluten free. The substitution is such a minor one that it wont affect the cookies.
Author: Chris Tilley
Recipe type: Cookies
- 2 Egg Whites
- 3-4 tbsp Kirsch
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ½ lb Semi Sweet Chocolate Grated
- 7 tbsp Cocoa
- 1 lb Unblanched Grated Almonds
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 300 F
- Beat the egg whites until very stiff
- Beat in the Kirsch and the sugar a little at a time
- Mix together the remaining ingredients in another bowl.
- I switch from my whisk attachment to the beater.
- Beat in the remaining ingredients
- Knead on a lightly floured baking board until smooth. (Gluten free: Replace with just about anything)
- Roll out dough to ¼ inch. I work with ½ on the dough at a time)
- Cut out star shapes with a small cookie cutter
- Bake on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. You can also lightly butter the sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes
One thought on “Chocolate Stars”
These look amazing! Thanks for linking up with “Try a New Recipe Tuesday.” I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/12/try-new-recipe-tuesday-1231.html Happy New Year!
Comments are closed.