I got into a new hobby in the fall and as always jumped in at the deep end. I came across an article on quilling that was way beyond anything I could do but it got me searching. The search took me to a quilled TARDIS and I had to give it a try.
I made two TARDISes for a pair of special Whovians as Christmas gifts. The pictures are from both. I never took a picture of the first one finished and very few pictures of the second being built. I was learning as I went along so there are a number of changes from the first to the second. The main two being that I change how I divided the door and I left more open space.
The first thing I did was find a picture of the front of the TARDIS and pin that to a piece of Styrofoam. I then started pinning out the shapes that I wanted to eventually fill in. Because of my lack of knowledge of the craft I used the wrong paper but the right one for what what I did. I am using scrap-booking card-stock cut to ½ inch strips.
I eventually got the outline done and started filling in with shapes. On the second one I ignored some details in outlining as they were not visible in final version.
I tried to indicate the “Police Box” sign on the top with black and white shapes. The windows worked well but I like the second version better. I had planned out the doors more in advanced. That made it easier and made them look more connected.
The panels on the door is another area that differed between the two. The first I went with abstract shapes. In experimenting with shapes I ended up with one flower and decided that it looked good. I decided to do the same on the second with the flowers and added the butterflies. For those of you that watch the show the funny thing is that I finished these well before the season 9 finale.
If I make a third one I will try with ¼ inch strips of the same paper. I discovered on a current project that that difference lets more light through and changes everything.